February 20, 2013

Thoughts on Fashion Week

I've been thinking a lot about fashion week in the midst of busy days. Whilst I've experienced phases of guilt for being so behind on the shows, it's not as if it were just a blip on my radar.

If you're an individual with a Twitter account who follows anyone rather keen on fashion, chances are that you have been bombarded with images of blurry runways, backstage preparations, or outlandishly dressed ladies and gents posing outside Lincoln Center or Milk Studios (et al).

It is virtually impossible (pun unintended) to avoid it. Every day, my social media is filled with photos of the same runway look from different angles and various seating rows. Naturally these are images that I would want to see, as an avid follower of fashion and aspiring fashion journalist. But it gets to the point where, even though I have never been in the tents myself, I feel somewhat jaded.

I read this article on Independent Fashion Bloggers today that questions the value of blogging about fashion week. Fashion bloggers, myself included, seem to feel obligated to write about fashion week; it is, after all, the pinnacle of the fashion cycle. But there's so much information and media out there, much of which is live-tweeted as the looks walk down the runway. Do we really need more?

Fashion week has become so widespread that it seems to have lost its magic.

In other news, Suzy Menkes wrote a rather controversial article for T Magazine about fashion week's evolution into an event that is about being seen. The piece focuses on "peacocking," which in this case is when an individual dresses to show off for the street-style paparazzi that have become rampant nowadays. (The heated response in part stems from the fact that the criticism is targeted towards fashion bloggers.)

Fashion week now seems to be less about the clothes and more about showing off. Shows are becoming increasingly bigger, and it's not just the fashion flock attending. Two new seasons have become a part of the mix (pre-fall and pre-spring), plus there's resort and a host of rising international fashion weeks.
Fashion week is everywhere.

Fashion week should be about the clothes. The solution may be to streamline; I hope to restore the awe I once had in these magical fashion moments by curating my coverage, focusing on newer designers and avoiding the shows that are already flooding your social media feeds.

I'm a bit belated in my sentiments at this point, but my less frequent posting allows for more inspired pieces that mean a lot to me.
Girl Loves Color will, of course, have fashion week - and a colorful one at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment