December 21, 2012

Into the Color Chasm

I recently stumbled upon the work of Antwerp-born graphic designer and mixed-media artist Jonathan Lichtfeld on Tumblr. While Photoshop has come to evoke negative connotations in the fashion world for its airbrushing notoriety, the program has spawned a growing population of artists expanding on the idea of digital manipulation.

Illusions have always been part of the photography world. (I recently saw the photography exhibition Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and I was astounded by the many tricks photographers had up their sleeves.) I really love the ways artists have been able to transform their photography into avant-garde collages or surrealist images reminiscent of our most fantastical dreams.

Out of the Lichtfeld images I have explored over the past couple of days, the following work is my definite favorite. What could be more perfect for my blog than a black-and-white image of a figure falling into a whirlpool of color and pattern? I've deemed this final destination the color chasm, and I strongly believe that every fashionably-inclined individual should find his or her way into it.


Lichtfeld
Christopher Kane rainbow shift dress (available here), BCBGMAXAZRIA evening clutch (available here), Iosselliani necklace (similar style here), Erdem x Nicholas Kirkwood floral print pumps (available here).
My outfit interpretation contains its color chasm within the black panels of a Christopher Kane shift dress. Pumps from the Erdem x Nicholas Kirkwood collaboration represent the vibrant floral stripes, yet there is no risk of falling here with sturdy embellished heels.

View more of Lichtfeld's work on his Flickr.
Image rights belong to Jonathan Lichtfeld; image found via Tumblr.

1 comment: